Annunciation Catholic Church 416 North Second Street Albemarle, N.C. 28001
Until 1934 visiting priests had the duty of celebrating mass here in Stanly County. Father Edward Gross from the Hamlet N.C. parish was known to visit Albemarle once a year in the latter 1920's. Many families chose to travel by train to Salisbury to attend Mass. The actual birth date of Our Lady of the Annunciation Church came on July 1, 1934. The first masses were held in the rectory's living room by Father Cowan. a gift of $5,000 from Our Lady of the Annunciation Parish in New York made it possible for the construction of the first church .the church building was completed on September 1, 1934.
In future years the parish grew from 9 families to over 100. A new rectory and parish hall were added to the North Second Street property. In the summer of 1971 through a generous gift from the estate of Father Cowan and his mother the current church was built. The former church building was donated to the Albemarle Junior Women's Club and is now located at Rock Creek Park. The present church was designed to seat 380 people. It contains southern yellow pine arches and purlins which support the roof, stained glass windows that recreate scenes from the Gospel and a majestic marble altar. Today at North Second Street stands the church, rectory, Olive Rooney Pastoral Center and the large two-story Family Life Center.